Surfing Magazine Music Reviews

Run DMC
Crown Royal
Arista Records
Kid Rock, Fred Durst and Stephan Jenkins of Third Eye Blind all performing with one of rap’s greatest trio? What the hell is this world coming to? Everyone knows that Run DMC rules, which is why they could have easily done without the mediocre ‘rockers’ that they teamed up with on this album. Run DMC threw out a lot of good beats in this album, but most were unfortunately lost in the God forsaken ‘art’ of rap ‘ roll. If you don’t mind skipping around an album to get to the three or four songs that will actually get you going, by all means get this album. A word to Fred Durst: Can we at least get through one song where you don’t flaunt your unsubstantiated band? – Gary Martinez

Weezer
The Green Album
Geffen Records
After ONLY a five-year hiatus, Weezer has finally decided to come out of the woodwork and release their third album. This pop-fueled record definitely distinguishes itself from their prior work with an array of cheery four-chord songs that at times leave the listener hoping for more. Sure, there are a few songs on the album that I just can’t enough of, but there were songs that sounded so similar to each other that I thought I heard the same song twice. This album would rate a ‘B’ on a normal scale, but scores a mediocre ‘C+’ due to the fact it’s Weezer and they could’ve done much better. – Gary Martinez

G. Love and Special Sauce
Electric Mile
Epic Records
Is it possible for these guys to make a bad record? Once again, G. Love has brought us another eclectic basket of songs that will either make you want to go out with your friends to the local speakeasy or just lay back and let the wind blow through your hair. I can’t say this album sticks out compared to his past work, but it is definitely of the same G. Love nature (in case you don’t know, that is good). Perfect for the post-session chill or the next Johnson/Malloy flick. – Gary Martinez

Unloco
Healing
I wanted to bad to dislike these guys for being part of the used up chthonic sound that has spread across the airwaves, and guess what, I did. I have to give these guys credit for breaking out of Austin considering the great amount of competition in the city, but excessive use of drop D tuning combined with Joey Duenas’ Gavin Rossdale like voice proved less than impressive. Ever wondered what that spiky-haired 17-year-old was blasting from his lifted (or lowered, depending on how you’re livin’) and oversized truck? You have your answer. – Gary Martinez


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home